Theme of the week: Getting Colder
When it comes to winter and hibernation there is a lot to discuss and do. We decided to discover how animals escape and adapt to cold weather.
- How do animals, birds and insects prepare for cold weather?
- Some animals sleep for the whole season, some hide in caves, some migrate to warmer climates and others grow fur/feather to keep them warm.
- Some stories have been read to our students by many volunteers, Jazahum Allahu Khyran. (Henry’s Awful Mistake, but no Elephants, It was you Blue Kangaroo and some others stories about skating and hockey).
- Students were shown different objects and they sorted them out according to weather (summer or winter).
- Students had fun hiding in caves that we built in the classroom using cardboard.
- We introduced the letter “f” through acting a story, activity sheets, playdough, sign language symbol, tracing/writing and songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvPo7aEQMxg
- We learnt the sight word “the “. Students had the chance to look for it in a story book.
We covered the following:
- Green triangle-orange square pattern.
- Counting 1-30.
- Counting 1-10 backwards.
- Still working on weather graph.
- Still working on making estimates.
- Students got to investigate and discuss ice vs. warm water. They were shown a real thermometer (a small one) and told how to use it to know the temperature of the water.
(We are thinking of doing this experiment again once we have a big accurate thermometer so students can watch how the mercury rise when placed in hot water and go down when placed in cold water).
- Students did styrofoam craft called: “geese in flight”. (The focus in that craft was on fine motor skills, yarn lacing, and discussing how geese migrate moving south). Students were shown the globe to see where south is.
- Students worked on a craft called: “bears in the Cave” using paper plates and glitter.
- They also worked on the letter “f” craft like the one shown in the picture.
- Students played “Hot Potato” , “ Score a goal” , “Freeze Tag” along with playing with gym toys.
Show and Tell:
- Students have been bringing nice toys from home as their show and tell.
- I believe it is time for our students to try to bring something that starts with the letter of the week. i.e. a toy fish,frog,firetruck,feather or fork would be great for the letter ‘f’.